26 January, 2016

Just Wondering: The Second Interview

I feel like I should do a small section on second and possible third panel/video interviews. This is strictly for PIs so you DCP candidates can simply skip this entire section. I want to be 100% clear not every role does second phone interviews, but majority will the only major exception to this is Guest Relations for Alumni only –your decision is based strictly on the phone screen and nothing else. Fore everyone else it is pretty typical to have a video interview, and on the rare occasion an in-person interview –do not worry I will address both.

Second Interview

As of 2014 majority of the second interviews are video format, but you may still get a department that does it by phone in which case you generally have a third interview that is video. Right now let’s get those questions answered.

What can I expect from the video interview?

Pretty commonly asked question, and as for what you can expect this varies based on the role you are applying for. However, your video (or possible phone call) will generally be with one or several hiring managers for the department location you were invited to interview with. I will say from my personal experience it was some of the same questions that I was asked in my phone screening, plus a few technical role based questions (for example in finance you may be asked to calculate ROI). I promise it is nothing complex it is just the hiring manager(s) trying to get an understanding of who you are, and can you handle the job if it was given to you.

Does this also include Management Interns?

Yes, this is the format for the MIs as well and much like other roles (animal programs included) it is always a panel interview of at least 2-5 managers. 

How long is the video interview?

Generally unlike the phone screen this is going to last about 30 minutes, but it can be longer or slightly shorter. To give you an idea my first video interview lasted around 45 minutes, my second was about 25 minutes, and my third was 32 minutes. Some interviews such as El Captain and Marvel (those are the ones I know of) can last up to an hour, so be prepared for that as well. 

What do they use for the video interviews?

This is one is tough since it changes from year to year, but I will say despite popular belief majority of the interviews are not Skype –very few if any actually are. Disney actually has been using in the past (2014-currently in 2016) Montage or BlueJeans, and yes they do send directions on how to use both systems.

Is this the final stage?

For most candidates yes the second video interview is the final stage, but on the rare some do have third interviews. Most common applicants such as finance, weddings, management, alumni, marketing, and etc. this is your last stage of the process before the waiting game begins.

Third Interview

I felt I should bold this just in case anyone was looking for this information I again want to be clear most roles do not have third interviews. For those that do it is going to be very similar to the second interview, but for you this might be the first video interview you are having. This will also be the final stage you for as well before the waiting game begins as well.

I will say some third interviews can go up to 3 hours, again typical of El Captain and Marvel, so be prepared! Although a lot of it will be repeat from the second interview though. 


In-Person Interview

This is again a rare thing, and usually only is offered to candidates who are currently on Disney property (although I was an was not offered the option) or locals in the area of where they are applying.  So I will cover some commonly asked questions here as well just like I did before.

How long should I expect it to last?

Although it is in-person I will generally last about the same time as the video format expect about 30 minutes, but again can range from 20-45 minutes as well.

What should I wear?

Disney is Business Professional (with the exceptions of some creative departments –which do not do in-person interviews) so I always suggest dressing as such. If you do not know what business professional means I suggest you go on Google. For anyone to lazy that means no jeans, no graphic tees, no muscle tanks, no spaghetti straps, no mini skirts, no yoga pants, no leggings –if you are getting it then by now you have probably figured out it is more of a dress pant, dress shirt, blazer kind of thing. Although I am not a male, so ladies I did wear a nice Kate Spade dress with a blazer and kitten heels.

Do I bring a thank you card?

I will address this in a section just for tips and advice, but I feel I should put it here as well. Now in business it is common for a 24-hour period between the interview and a thank you, since it most likely has an effect on you being hired –Disney however it does not. Thank you cards have no effect on you being hired by Disney once so ever, but they are a nice gesture since those cast members are spending time out of their day talking to you. Now I had an in-person as well as video (I was in the area though) so I decided to drop them off the following morning (I did physical cards) at Team Disney and Casting.

Should I bring my resume?

You can especially if you have changed it since applying, but they will have a copy of it in front of them. It does show you are prepared though, so my advice is bring one better to look over-prepared then not at all.

How early do I arrive?

For in-person I suggest about 10 minutes early since that is general allotted time given as advice for showing up to an interview. Any earlier is a bit much, and generally anything after 5 minutes early looks like you forgot.


Tips for the Interview

  • Just relax I know video interviews can make anyone a bit nervous, but trust me relax you have made it this far –you will be fine.
  • Make sure you completely answer the question!! They like to ask multiple questions in one so always completely listen to the question, and then answer it.
  • Use the STAR Method for answering questions it is the easiest way to answer the question knowing you have covered all your bases

I suggest arriving about 15 minutes early especially with BlueJeans (which needs to be installed) to make sure everything is working properly –also your interviewer is usually around 5-10 minutes early.
If you can go without notes I always suggest it since they are distracting, and you are suppose to be having a conversation with someone
If they forget to show up do not panic it is pretty common especially when it comes to hiring managers –remember they are still working their jobs, and they are human they sometimes get pre-occupied with doing other things. If someone does forget hang on the video interview for I say about 15-20 minutes I know that seems long, but better be safe then sorry. After about that time if they still do now show up leave the interview, and send the general PI recruiting an email letting them know (for those wondering it is on the FAQ page).



Remember if you have made it to the video interview you have already come over the largest obstacle. Fewer candidates make it to this stage, so remember that you made it this far. After this it is just a waiting game, and I know it is the worst feeling –trust me. My suggestion for those who do not get an offer after a video interview is try again! Most people do not get an offer on the first time, but generally after a few times they do –so do not give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment